Employees at the workplace are confronted with the potential of eyestrain and future eye and vision problems.
A team from the Eye See Life Institute are conducting a demonstration project, investigating whether eye performance and awareness can be developed at the workplace within a company environment.
- Can employees working at a company be trained to prevent eye strain?
- Does integrated vision therapy increase visual awareness and performance?
- How does this awareness affect work performance?
A company in Germany provided the opportunity to answer these questions. The management level professionals were given self experience seminars This raised the awareness that caring for eye wellness was possible.
The investigation protocol consisted of 20 persons
- Each was given a pre-questionnaire and prevision function measurements were secured, including binocular levels performance.
- Each person was coached on which vision fitness practices to include during scheduled breaks while.
- Post measurements with questionnaire and visual findings were carried out six months later
The results of the questions are:
- 60% of the persons had to blink and tilting her head
- 80% felt tired or sleepy during the day
- 80% neck and shoulder tension
- 80% had a tendency to rub the eyes during the day
- 60% confused words letters incorrectly and
- 60% last attention span as the day progressed
12 of the 20 returning employees were again given the questionnaire to complete. One interesting aspect of the results was how increased awareness of their eyes increased their ability to observe signs and symptoms that they before had not noticed.
Here is a summary of the most significant findings.
- There was 25% less burning sensation and were headaches 25% less
- A 25% increase in neck pain, as well as 40% more aware of head turning, are the findings revealing more awareness.
- 25% less jumping of the lines and loss of fusion while working
- 50% less blinking
- However, there was a 50% increase in the eyes becoming tired during the day as well as 50% more blurry vision at the close distance.
- Since we trained awareness of posture 70% less low back pain was recorded.
- However, lack of body movement resulted in 70% increase in thigh pain.
- 25% more irritability during the day was noticed
- More awareness of how the two eyes work together increased by 90%
The pre-findings for the base out (Convergence) fusion measurements for the 12 participants who returned averaged 19.7 The post-testing average reached 26.8. Although this finding is within the normal limit, the future training goal is to reach the optimum level of beyond 27.
The average Base In (Divergence) fusion finding only increased slightly by .3. Although individual did increase the Divergence, some of the samples did very little practising of the vision activities and had significantly lower post testing measurements. This lowered the average.
In summary, when can we can conclude that employees working in a company can be trained to prevent eyestrain.
- In the long term, this will act as a prevention and Myopia Control approach.
- Integrated vision therapy does result in increased visual performance
- Enhancing binocular vision increases awareness
- and this affects work performance and team building
This project is ongoing and future focus will be on motivation to use the breaks from the workplace and additional ways to bring awareness to the eyes.
For more information, contact Eye See Life Institut.